Tuesday, March 17, 2009

#39

She was sure to have a smile on her face when they reached the Cave, reassuring the sprites that all was well. Red looked surprised to see her, but pleasantly so. "Come to check up on me?"
She grinned and stopped beside him. "That would be silly. I know full well you can handle all of this." She glanced around. "I was hoping our new friends would be here."
He pointed to the path leading farther back into the Cave. "They're in the back. Came up a few hours ago." He folded his arms over his chest. "They're not the friendliest of friends you've ever made," he said.
She laughed lightly and said, "They are very serious, aren't they?" She reached out and gently patted his shoulder. "Thank-you for looking after this place while I was gone. I knew I could count on you."
He beamed proudly. "Always, Rainbow," he said.
She smiled, then headed into the back of the Cave. She found them sitting up on the ledge from which the Princess had once proclaimed herself Queen of the Sprites. "I thought I'd find you two here."
They both looked up, and Alpha smiled to her. "I guess we're creatures of habit." He reached out as Rainbow made it up the steep incline, taking her hand and helping her up to where they sat.
She sat down on the edge, and was somewhat surprised when Omi cralwed over to her and curled up under her arm. After a moment, she looked up at Alpha. "I had a dream."
He glanced down to her, brow arched slightly. "Oh?"
She slowly looked away. "It was a place I knew, but I can't remember ever seeing it. There were two people, that I knew but don't know. And then...something." She sighed. "I don't understand it, but...I think I know where I have to go."
Alpha and Omi both smiled, the boy hugging her in congratulations. "That is good," Alpha said.
She looked up at him again. "Will I know what I have to do when I get there?"
"I don't know," he said. "I imagine it may depend on just what you're going up against."
"Should...I go alone?"
He shook his head. "Certainly not. You must take the Prism Bearer with you. He exists to aid you in your toughest fights."
"Krys...he will be glad to hear that."
Alpha and Omi exchanged a glance and nothing more. "We shall stay here," Alpha said suddenly.
Rainbow jerked her head up to look at him again. "What...? Why? I thought...you were going to help me."
"And we shall."
"How? By staying here?!"
He looked at her sternly. "You will understand when the time comes."
She deflated and looked away again. "I wish this weren't all so complicated."
"I've a feeling it will be quite simple when it all plays out, Rainbow Brite."

No comments: